- Why are so many men pregnant? | Nigel Hawkes | Straight Statistics
Even more striking, between 15,000 and 20,000 men have been admitted to obstetric wards each year since 2003, and almost 10,000 to gynaecology wards. Nearly 20,000 midwife “episodes” – NHS jargon for completed treatments – were with men. The “pregnant man” advertisement created by Saatchi and Saatchi for the Health Education Council in the 1970s (pictured) was evidently prophetic as well as memorable.
- 11 More Time-Traveling Celebrities | Pleated-Jeans.com
Did you know that celebrities like Brad Pitt, Sylvester Stallone, Jack Black and Eddie Murphy have been secretly traveling back in time? Don’t believe me? The proof is in the pictures…
- Die Geschichte eines Virus: Jenseits von Eden – Gesellschaft – FAZ
Schöner populärwissenschaftlicher Virologiegeschichtsartikel von Alard von Kittlitz in der FAZ.
- How to Visualize and Compare Distributions / Nathan Yau / Flowing Data
Single data points from a large dataset can make it more relatable, but those individual numbers don’t mean much without something to compare to. That’s where distributions come in. …
- Do Movie Sequels Live Up to Their Originals?
“Rotten Trilogy Finales” is a wonderful little example for statistical mens (calculus and visualisation) in the realms of film analysis.
- Carlos Fuentes Obituary | Books | guardian.co.uk
- Language Log » A sentence more ambiguous than most
I’m a linguist.
I love ambiguity more than most people.
- “Guestimating” the Size of the LGBT Population » Sociological Images
“There is no one answer to the question, ‘How many people are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender?’ But demographer Gary Gates, who works for the Williams Institute at UCLA’s School of Law, has compiled the results from nine surveys that attempt to measure sexual orientation — five of them from the U.S. He estimates that 3.5% of the U.S. population identify as lesbian, gay or bisexual, while 0.3% are transgender. Here is the breakdown for the different surveys…”
- Uni-Senat beschließt Moratorium / 16 vor – Nachrichten aus Trier